Airtel Nigeria (Airtel Networks Limited) is a leading telecommunications services provider in Nigeria headquartered in Lagos, the commercial nerve-centre of Nigeria. The telco ranks amongst the top four mobile service providers in terms of subscribers with a customer base of more than 39.8 million. The company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce and enterprise services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MPBN Planning Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria (On-site)
Employment type: Full-time
Career level: Mid-Senior level
- This function is expected to act as the representative for business, technical and functional requirements in IP Packet backbone solutions to support both Mobile and Enterprise services.
- The function will define the optimal topology of the IP core network to meet a premium service level agreements and industry architecture for next generation IP networks;
- To evaluate network design and define integrated planning/implementation criteria and guidelines with partners for capacity management and dimensioning of the IP core network;
- Also would evaluate delivery of IP projects to designed SLAs whilst exploring the most efficient ways to deliver any new functional requirements placed upon the 2G/3G/LTE Mobile Network which includes but not limited to voice, data and other services.
MPBN Core Planning and Architecture Design To Ensure Uninterrupted Voice & Data Service Delivery:
- Analyze business requirements and processes before converting ideas into a solution design; where required, research into new technology and development in Telecommunication industry with regards to IP packet backbone and Data services.
- Liaise with partner teams, Airtel HQ and other departments to assure seamless IP packet backbone and data network architecture, implementation and deployment of key networks systems through the full delivery life cycle from initial design to full operational handover.
- Ensure projects are aligned with the Annual Operating Program (AOP)
- Ensure that all IP backbone and edge devices are functioning as per the business and network requirements.
- Provide a pathway towards establishing a seamless MPLS network with the IPRAN and Transmission
Detailed and Effective Documentation:
- Ensure that the project related documentation reflects a fit-for-purpose design and compiles with the contractual vendor requirements.
- On concept of solutions proffered and prior to implementation, documentation in the form of SD, HLD and LLD designs should be prepared to include technical functionality, platform design and platform integration with relevant network elements.
- Update all IP Core documentation and topology to reflect running solution.
- Manage IP Network addressing and allocation for entire network including Access (IPRAN)
- Perform adequate dimensioning, of all IP nodes, interfaces – in accordance with network growth and projections.
- Handshake with transmission on Submarine/fiber capacity required to support projected MPBN core and Edge interface capacity.
- Continuously monitor network traffic, trends and various parameters to ensure Network elements have required capacity to cater for projected traffic growth with enough headroom for resilience purpose. Where required, take corrective action with input from Operations and performance teams.
- Ensure planning is actual with very minimal or no inventory left over in ordered equipment for capacity expansion/upgrade.
Expand & Evolve Core Network:
- Understand the business requirements and impact on the IP backbone to city-level granularity.
- Responsible for planning all expansion of nodes well in advance.
- Plan evolution of IP backbone to best industry practices.
- Hold necessary Kick off meetings with stakeholders where/when required.
- Always maintain high Team Harmony and Engagement with both internal and external teams and stakeholders.
- Manage delivery of internal projects relating to IP Backbone from solution to go-live.
- Advise other stakeholder networks on best connection practices to the backbone network.
- Ensuring that partners deliver the projects to the high quality and expected first time right.
- Manage Project from Ordering to delivery; Hold kick-off and recurrent governance meetings with Vendors to ensure full control and smooth delivery.
- Explore new initiatives which meet business requirements by developing and delivering cost efficient delivery plans of proposed solutions.
- Technology assessments and POC trials (RFI/RFP/RFQ). Verification of solutions before roll-out.
- Prioritize self-workload as required to meet the fluctuating demands of business and requirements from other stakeholders.
Educational Qualifications & Functional / Technical Skills
All of the following:
- Bachelor / Master’s of Telecommunication / Electronic Engineering Degree / Computer Science
- Detailed working Telecommunications Knowledge
- Analytical and Presentation skills
- Detailed understanding of IP/MPLS and its role in the telecommunications industry.
- A basic understanding of 3GPP /ITU-T and ETSI standards is required.
- Must have 6-8 years working experience in large Mobile/ISP Network Operator
- Multivendor experience – HUAWEI, CISCO, JUNIPER, ALCATEL LUCENT platforms
- Detailed understanding of IP Routing and switching, and its interrelation with supported domains; a working knowledge of other connecting domains like Transmission and Service Nodes.
- IPRAN and SDN Experience will be an added advantage.
- Experience in deployment of key network systems through the delivery life cycle from initial design to full operational handover
- Good project management Skills
- Experience in measuring, analyzing and interpreting IP Networks Key performance indicators.
- Personal Integrity and good interpersonal relationship
- Personal tenacity to succeed.
- Must have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Highly organized and good at implementation
- Time management skills with commitment to project timelines.
- Self-motivational skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good practical skills in troubleshooting and fault resolution for supporting operations teams as an escalation point.
- Professionalism in delivering daily services.
- Innovative and Entrepreneurial in managing challenging situations.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We therefore do not discriminate against applicants based on, among others, their race, disability, their race, disability, religion or gender.
- All employment opportunities are decided based on qualifications, merit and business need.