CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Location: Yobe State (Nguru and Karasuwa)
Employment Type: Contract
Slot: 3 Openings
Employment Category: Contract
Employment Type: Full-time
Reporting to: Nutrition Officer
- CARE International has scaled up its intervention in Yusufari, Karasuwa and Nguru LGA, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
- The Nutrition Assistants will based at one of the LGAs performing on-going monitoring and support supervision, provide guidance to LGA partners on nutrition activities, assist nutrition officers in program planning and staff capacity building.
- The Nutrition Assistant will monitor and support the performance of nutrition activities. Training of community based volunteers (Mother-to-Mother, Support group, PMCs), Supervision and Sensitization.
- The Nutrition Assistant Officer will mainstream nutritional activities with regards to Infant and Young Child Feeding practices and other nutrition programs.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- S/he will be required to conduct sensitization and MUAC (middle upper arm circumference) screening of Pregnant and lactating women (PLW) and children under 5 years.
- The nutrition assistant will screen, tally, register and coordinate the screening of children to verify their age at the distribution point; the nutrition screener/register additionally is required to train the Nutrition volunteers.
- S/he will be tasked to report to the Nutrition Officeron BSFP distribution update.
- The Nutrition Assistantwill collaborate with other INGOs on nutrition activities and to refer children identified and provide technical support to the nutrition assistant.
- S/he the will be required to mainstream the nutritional activities in line with CARE/ standards in his or her LGA with regards to Infant and Young Child feeding (IYCF) programs.
- S/he will also provide guidance to LGA partners (IYCF Groups) on policy and methodologies to enhance service delivery at the Host community and camp level.
- S/he is required to possess significant experience in inter-agency coordination in management of complex field based operations and emergencies, good knowledge of program management and solid experience in technical field of BSFP.
- S/he is expected to have competencies of a skillful leader in guiding and supporting staff, addressing various operational challenges, along with increasing security concerns. Given the stressful nature of Yobe security situation, which remains fluid and unpredictable and its high interpersonal and communication skills demands.
Qualifications (Know How)
Education / Training
- University degree / HND / OND in any of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Public Health or related field.
- 1st Degree in a related field.
- At least 2 years’ experience in Nutrition, Biology, Public Health, Nursing or food aid support.
- A good experience in supervision is required.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment and relevant data analysis
- Previous experience working with an INGO ora Development organization.
- 2-3 years progressively responsible experience in Nursing, Biology, Nutrition/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- 3 years progressively responsible experience in Nursing, Biology, Nutrition/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area
- Experience in a development and/or humanitarian organization.
- Strong knowledge of Nutrition and/or Public Health
- Advanced computers skills at least intermediate skills in windows based word processing, spreadsheet and nutrition/public health software
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and organize own work plan.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity, tact, advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, communication and public speaking skills
- Understanding of political dynamics, foreign policy decision making procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work without direction;
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Details focus
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in organization.
- 100% Field Based
Application Closing Date
6th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- WOMEN are strongly encouraged to apply.