The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Income Generating Activities (IGA) Assistant
Requisition ID: req23062
Location: Maudiguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC Nigeria Program
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state.
- In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in Northeast Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damaturu of Yobe State.
- The IRC is responding at scale to the humanitarian situation across sectors including Education, Child Protection, Health, Nutrition, Women Protection and Empowerment, Environmental Health, Economic Recovery and Development, Protection and Rule of Law, and Governance.
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC Nigeria is currently expanding its education portfolio in the northeast of the country.
- A priority outcome for the Country Program is that girls and boys enroll in and attend safe, functioning, responsive education services. The IRC is currently implementing a two-year education project titled “Improving Access to Education for Conflict-Affected Children in Northeast Nigeria”.
- The project intends to reach 20,000 children in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe States with quality non-formal education services (literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills) and support parents and caregivers of beneficiary children with small business / income-generating activities.
- The Income Generating Activities (IGA) Assistant will therefore be responsible for the overall coordination of the IGA, and education-related activities of the Project in Jere LGA of Borno State.
- Support parents and caregivers of Non-Formal Education (NFE) learners with small business / income-generating activities.
- Provide support to parents and caregivers on best strategies of sustaining small business.
- Support the M&E team in analysis of beneficiary data collected through the various tools that the education sector uses
- Work closely with community structures to follow up on implementation of Income Generating Activities.
- Facilitate IGA related trainings for the target beneficiaries at the LGA level.
- Participate in developing of training contents and train the beneficiaries according to the schedule defined.
- Oversee the implementation of non-formal and formal education activities in Borno State.
- Support in the distribution of learner’s scholastic materials across Non-formal Learning Centers (NFLCs) in Jere
- Ensure that NFE graduands are successfully mainstreamed to formal schools at the end of NFE program
- Monitor attendance rate of enrolled out of school children in identified and selected communities of NFE learners
- Uphold the highest standard of confidentiality when managing records to ensure beneficiary dignity and privacy.
- Monitor progress towards the objectives and intended outputs pertaining Income Generating Activities using routine data, spot checks, observation, and other methodologies.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports on Income Generating Activities to supervisor
- Carry out any other responsibilities assigned by the project supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Education Officer with technical oversight by the Education Manager (Project) and the Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) Manager
- Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
- Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Business Education, Economics / Agric economics or any relevant field
- At least three years of relevant professional experience with an international or civil society organization, including direct implementation of education programming.
- Experience working with displaced or otherwise marginalized communities required.
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing.
- Good computer skills in programs including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Good administrative skills
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions.
- Willingness to travel extensively in the communities, including to remote and/or insecure locations.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online