Farm Radio International – We are the only international non-profit organization focused on using radio to help African farming communities help themselves. We make radio a powerful force for good in rural Africa – one that shares knowledge, amplifies voices, and supports positive change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant / Translator (English – Hausa)
Employment Type: Part-time
- The current COVID-19 pandemic demands exceptional communication efforts, especially in sub-Saharan Africa where access to quality information and communication is extremely low, especially among women and marginalized groups.
- There is an urgent need for efforts to counter misinformation, increase confidence in vaccines, and support demand (when vaccines are available) to be timely and responsive to the needs of rural communities.
- Vaccine inequity is becoming a global issue with growing awareness of the importance of bringing the pandemic under control, including by increasing immunization rates in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The objective of this project is to organize 2 to 3 month information campaigns focusing on three main priorities, namely 1) prevention through public health measures, 2) confidence in vaccines and 3) gender equality, while simultaneously addressing specific national concerns.
- As part of this project, Farm Radio International will create a range of resources, which we want to offer in relevant African languages in the countries where we work. Your role will be to provide these translation services for a total of 7,000 to 12,000 words.
Description of Tasks
- Translate the documents provided by FRI (English to Hausa) while retaining the same meaning of the original document and without modifying or omitting content.
- A given term or concept may require further explanation for it to carry the same meaning in the language of translation as it does in the original. This additional interpretation is required as necessary.
- Avoid translating using Google Translate (or similar services)
- Respect the style and format of the document provided when translating Respect the style of writing, which is written to be read aloud
- Record the translation in audio format, if required
Consultant Selection Criteria:
- Have at least five years of relevant practical experience translating English to Hausa.
- Have a proven knowledge in the translation and revision of scientific and technical documents, in particular on health issues.
- Have a good knowledge of the regional and international context in terms of gender.
- Have a good command of Microsoft programs, in particular the Word program.
- Be reliable with good communication.
- Be available to begin translations immediately.
Application Closing Date
14th March, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send the documents listed below to: email@example.com using “Consultant Translator – English to Hausa” as the subject of the mail.
Documents to Submit
- Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter
- Three written examples of your translation work from English to Hausa
- A price per word or per page of 300 words
Note: You are also required to complete a short translation test via Google Forms to demonstrate your skills. The results will be reviewed and taken into account as part of the selection process.