Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Capacity Assistant
Ref No: 220002WL
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Lenght: 6 months (With the option of renewal)
Team / Programme: Breakthrough Action, Nigeria
Reports to: Community Capacity Officer, Bauchi and the Breakthrough Action-Nigeria State Coordinator
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs.
- Breakthrough ACTION (BA) is a five-year cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead USAID’s social and behavior change (SBC) programming around the world.
- Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria (BA-N) focuses on malaria; maternal, new-born, and child health including nutrition (MNCH+N); family planning (FP); and tuberculosis (TB); and increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming.
- BA-N will collaborate closely with the relevant USAID service delivery and commodities implementation partners from the outset to ensure seamless coordination between supply, demand, and quality of services.
- BA-N will work at the national level and in 11 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Three states will implement an integrated SBC approach, seven states will implement a malaria-only SBC approach, and FCT will implement an FP-only SBC approach.
- The Community Mobilization Assistant will provide technical, programmatic, and administrative support.
- The Community Mobilization Assistant will work closely with the project technical staff and the community to ensure all project activities run smoothly.
- They will support the state programme teams in planning and programme implementation of the community capacity and mobilization component in Bauchi state.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Contribute to technical work related to community capacity strengthening, including strategies, toolkits, developing communication materials, etc;
- Participate in the drafting and implementation of approved workplans;
- Mobilize community-based groups, including WDCs, VDCs, community influencers and opinion leaders.
- Promote community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented;
- Monitor project events and stakeholder’s activities in coordination with project technical leads and capture success stories, to effectively capture lessons learnt on the ground from the projects;
- Provide quality weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs; and collaborate with relevant teams to ensure documentation of all community mobilization and M&E activities;
- Assist with the establishment and maintenance of effective relationships at the State level with health partners, implementing partners, State MOHs and other key stakeholders.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Level of Education – First degree BSc/BA/HND/NCE or national diploma in Communications, Journalism, Social Work, Psychology, Health, or related Social Science field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with donor-funded projects in related tasks
- Prior work experience in community engagement in Northern Nigeria.
- Working Knowledge of MS Office Packages and database softwares and applications
- Well-organized, with ability to track multiple activities and deadlines
- Ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural, team-based environment
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Experience in training.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
27th April, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.