Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong is offering the PhD Fellowship Scheme for international students in Hong Kong.These are available for pursuing PhD degree at eight institutions mentioned above. Hong Kong PhD Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest candidates in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
The Research Grants Council (RGC), which was established in 1991, operates under the aegis of the University Grants Committee (UGC) and functions as an advisory body on research matters within the organizational structure of the Committee.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2021
- International applicants can apply for this PhD Scheme.
- These are awarded to study any of the courses offered by the City University of Hong Kong; Hong Kong Baptist University; Lingnan University; The Chinese University of Hong Kong; The Hong Kong Institute of Education; The Hong Kong Polytechnic University; The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; The University of Hong Kong.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong KongCandidates who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD pupils in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
How to Apply
- How to apply: To participate, applicants may choose up to two programs/departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programs.
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number
- Supporting Documents: To apply, learners must have no need to support documents to apply for this free study.
- Admission Requirements: To apply for the program applicants must have a previous degree.
- Language Requirement: For applicants from non-English speaking universities, unless they provide proof that English is the language of instruction for all courses, they are required to attach score results of TOEFL or IELTS in their Ph.D. applications to the universities concerned.
The award provides an annual stipend of HK$301,200 (approximately US$38,600) and a conference and a research-related travel allowance of HK$12,600 (approximately US$1,600) per year for each awardee for a period up to three