The Brookings Institution invites applications from scholars around the world for Echidna Global Scholars Program 2021/22 – an opportunity to pursue a fully funded research project of four to six months at Brookings in USA. The Brookings Institute Echidna Global Scholars Program is a visiting fellowship hosted by the Center for Universal Education (CUE) at the Brookings Institution.
The structure of the Program is divided into two main components to assist the scholars in having impact when returning to their home countries: research on global education issues, and leadership training. The program aims to build the research and analytical skills of NGO leaders and academics who have substantial experience and ties to developing countries.-
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Brookings Institution, USA.
Scholarships to be taken at: Brookings Institution, USA.
Scholarship Type: Fully Funded Research Fellowship.
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Slots: Not stated.
Scholarship Worth: Full funding + living stipend of USD $5,000.
Subject Eligibility: Please see qualifications and requirements (below)
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Non-USA applicants
Qualifications and Requirements
- The Program selects professionals with substantial experience in and ties to developing countries,
- Applicants must have a demonstrated intent to return to a developing country after completing the period of residency at Brookings, and a passion and demonstrated commitment to girls’ education.
- Applicants should have a background in education, development, economics, or a related area, with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in either research/academia; non-government and civil society; government; or business.
- Education: Master’s degree required; Ph.D. or research background strongly preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills Requirements: Strong analytical and writing skills. Successful applicants will have an intimate understanding of education development issues and gender.
Echidna Global Scholars Program 2021 | BENEFITS
Applicants selected for the fellowship will receive;
- A living stipend of USD $5,000 a month while in D.C. (subject to U.S. tax withholding and reporting),
- A paid single-occupancy housing for the four-and-a-half-month term,
- A round-trip travel expenses, and
- A limited health insurance plan.
Please note that this position is a short-term full-time resident fellowship at Brookings (it is not an employee position).
How-to-Apply: Interested candidates should proceed to apply online and submit cover letter and CV or resume as one document when you apply. Ensure that you upload the following initial application materials;
- A cover letter that explains your goals and intent for the program, along with your curriculum vitae or resume which should include your education and professional experience, as well as a list of your publications, and any fellowships, honors, awards, funded research, or foundation support that you have received.
- The Completed Echidna Global Scholars Program Application. (Click on the hyperlink to access document and upload the completed document in the “Writing Sample” section).
- Documents must be saved with a format of Last Name, First Name and document name (for example: Doe_Jane_CV).
- Letters of recommendation, writing samples, and transcripts are NOT required. Please upload Questionnaire and Research Project Proposal in the Writing Sample section.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2021.